CAR CRANKS BUT WILL NOT FIRE

1990 Mercury Marquis

bigky20

February, 2, 2012 AT 1:46 AM

Gave car to my dad last year. He went out to start the car one day and had no power to anything when the key was turned on and car would not start. Had towed home and sat for a year. Went out today to get it running to be able to sell it. Found the main grounds to the battery were corroded so I replaced the terminal and cut back the bad section of wires. Now everything on the car comes on with key at this point. I start the vehicle and take it out for a quick spin and no issues. Went inside and ate dinner then went to take the car on a longer trip to see what happens. Made it about 5 miles on the highway and the engine just quite running but all the lights stayed on. I went up and got some gas in a can in case the fuel gauge was off and the car fired up and idled for about 15 sec and died. Now the car cranks but will not fire at all.

car has new alternator, battery, battery terminal ends, air filter.

fixitmr

February, 2, 2012 AT 1:59 AM

Does it have spark and can you hear pump run?

bigky20

February, 2, 2012 AT 2:19 AM

I can hear the fuel pump cycle when I turn the key to the on position. The pump runs for about 3-5 seconds then shuts off. I had to leave it on the side of the road tonight it was too dark to do anything. I will pick it up tomorrow after work and check for spark. Are there any common known issues with this car such as ignition module or coil?

bigky20

February, 3, 2012 AT 12:52 AM

Found the issue. I went back out to the car today and used the poor mans version or a psi fuel gauge test. I just primed the pump then relieved the schader valve. Fuel shot up to the hood. I replaced the power module on the distributor and the car ran. Thanks

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Replacement