89 DODGE COLT STARTING PROBLEM

• dodgecolt
  • 1989 Dodge Colt

I have a 89 dodge colt. It was driving fine until today. After being parked for about an hour, after I disarmed the alarm, and tried to turn it on, I got no power. No lights nothing. The alarm also goes off after taking key out, with a weird buzzing noise. I had to boost it to get it started again. While driving home, when I turned the lights on, I got a check engine light, and every time I touched the brake, there was a weird click noise which sounded like it came through the radio speaker. Now when I parked it, and tried again at home to start it, it does it again. The battery connectors are good. Battery is good. What could it be?

Thursday, December 2nd, 2010 AT 1:02 AM

• fixitmr

How was the boost connected? To the battery posts or the engine/body? Maybe you have a bad ground connection? This can cause all kinds of electrical quirks. Major and minor.

Thursday, December 2nd, 2010 AT 1:22 AM
  • dodgecolt

It was connected post to post. Worked first time, and car started and ran fine all the way home until I tried to restart it at home.

Thursday, December 2nd, 2010 AT 1:36 AM
  • fixitmr

Now it sounds alarm related? Is it factory of aftermarket? Or maybe you have an ignition switch problem?

Thursday, December 2nd, 2010 AT 9:32 AM
  • dodgecolt

The alarm is a clifford alarm but don;t know the model as it was installed before we bought it. Cant find the brain either. It has a black square key fob with 2 buttons. Looks pretty old. Hubby opened the driver door and the window must have pulled the wires for the power door lock off, but after reconnecting it, it still has the same problem. It is a aftermarket alarm that the last guy installed. (He's a pro apparently does it for a living)it starts fine once you attach a battery booster pack. Nothings wrong with the alt, or starter, and battery is fully charged, but acts like its dead when you try starting it on its own.

Thursday, December 2nd, 2010 AT 7:31 PM
  • dodgecolt

Hubby found a switch which he says belongs to the alarm, but after turning the switch alarm still doesnt do anything when the cars running. Not sure what to do with it. Its a small silver switch on a black cable under the driver side panel beside the clutch under the dash.

Thursday, December 2nd, 2010 AT 7:36 PM
  • fixitmr

Is that a top or side post battery? Side posts can be really fussy when older trying to get a good connection! I usually R&R mine with 3/8 bolts and washers.I open the whole in the rubber boot on cable end to get at metal so washers will make good contact.

Friday, December 3rd, 2010 AT 4:54 AM