89 STARTING PROBLEM

1989 Dodge Colt

dodgecolt

December, 2, 2010 AT 1:02 AM

I have a 89 dodge colt. It was driving fine until today. After being parked for about an hour, after I disarmed the alarm, and tried to turn it on, I got no power. No lights nothing. The alarm also goes off after taking key out, with a weird buzzing noise. I had to boost it to get it started again. While driving home, when I turned the lights on, I got a check engine light, and every time I touched the brake, there was a weird click noise which sounded like it came through the radio speaker. Now when I parked it, and tried again at home to start it, it does it again. The battery connectors are good. Battery is good. What could it be?

fixitmr

December, 2, 2010 AT 1:22 AM

How was the boost connected? To the battery posts or the engine/body? Maybe you have a bad ground connection? This can cause all kinds of electrical quirks. Major and minor.

dodgecolt

December, 2, 2010 AT 1:36 AM

It was connected post to post. Worked first time, and car started and ran fine all the way home until I tried to restart it at home.

fixitmr

December, 2, 2010 AT 9:32 AM

Now it sounds alarm related? Is it factory of aftermarket? Or maybe you have an ignition switch problem?

dodgecolt

December, 2, 2010 AT 7:31 PM

The alarm is a clifford alarm but don; t know the model as it was installed before we bought it. Cant find the brain either. It has a black square key fob with 2 buttons. Looks pretty old. Hubby opened the driver door and the window must have pulled the wires for the power door lock off, but after reconnecting it, it still has the same problem. It is a aftermarket alarm that the last guy installed. (He's a pro apparently does it for a living)it starts fine once you attach a battery booster pack. Nothings wrong with the alt, or starter, and battery is fully charged, but acts like its dead when you try starting it on its own.

dodgecolt

December, 2, 2010 AT 7:36 PM

Hubby found a switch which he says belongs to the alarm, but after turning the switch alarm still doesnt do anything when the cars running. Not sure what to do with it. Its a small silver switch on a black cable under the driver side panel beside the clutch under the dash.

fixitmr

December, 3, 2010 AT 4:54 AM

Is that a top or side post battery? Side posts can be really fussy when older trying to get a good connection! I usually R&R mine with 3/8 bolts and washers.I open the whole in the rubber boot on cable end to get at metal so washers will make good contact.

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Pressure Test