FUSABLE LINK KEEPS BLOWING WHAT COULD IT BE?

• Rotor
  • 1989 Chevrolet Truck

89 Chevy pickup truck Fusible link

We have an 89 Chevy pickup truck. The fusible link is messed up. When we turn the key, it doesn't click or anything. The dash board was not lighting up. The lights all work, so it isn't the battery. The fusable link was burned and when we touched it the truck started then it broke in half. We replaced the fusible link and it still will not start but the dash board is lighting up now and the radio is working. We tried jumping the battery and it still will not start and the fusible link messes up again. What could this be?

Monday, July 9th, 2012 AT 11:53 PM

• caradiodoc

By "messes up", do you mean the fuse link wire burns open? If this happens repeatedly, use a pair of small jumper wires to temporarily replace it with a 12 volt light bulb. In this case a head light bulb is the best choice. When the circuit is powered up and the short is present, the bulb will be full brightness. Now you can disconnect things and move harnesses around to see what makes the short go away. When it does, the bulb will get dim or go out.

Monday, July 9th, 2012 AT 11:58 PM
  • Rotor

Yes it is starting to burn again. I will have to try this. I am not sure where the fusible link even goes. It is the third from the left and is black. Do you know of a diagram? Could whatever this is connected to be the problem? Another thing I forgot to mention is now when we try to start the truck the lights dim.

Tuesday, July 10th, 2012 AT 12:04 AM
  • caradiodoc

I can search for a diagram but it won't be quick. I'm buried in Chrysler manuals which aren't going to help. In the meantime you can try the Mitchell site listed below. I can't get into it with this computer but you should be able to. There's also Alldata on a different site.

Tuesday, July 10th, 2012 AT 12:23 AM
  • Rotor

Well if you get the chance it would be appreciated. I have been looking online. I dont see the mitchell site below?

Tuesday, July 10th, 2012 AT 12:25 AM
  • Rotor

Oh I see the tiny link!

Tuesday, July 10th, 2012 AT 12:26 AM