STARTS AND RUNS VERY WELL. NEXT TIME IT MAY OR MAY NOT START AT ALL.

1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass

instchuck

December, 31, 2011 AT 12:42 AM

When the car does start it will continue to run very well. Drive it anywhere you want. When you stop and turn off the ignition the car may start or it will just crank the starter motor and not start. Get out of the car and walk around then try to start it again. It may start and it may not. Eventually without making any adjustments or repairs, get back in turn the ignition and it starts. We have let the car sit sometimes for three days without doing anything then get in turn the ignition and the car sometimes starts. Battery is new and test good, has good fuel in it. Someone suggested it might be the fuel pump. Ready to send the car to the scrap yard. Damn things is in good condition except for the starting and not starting issue. Thanks if you can help. Instchuck

December, 31, 2011 AT 12:51 AM

Next time it refuses to start don't wait for it to make up its mind-do below immediately to determine if its fuel or spark problem

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if okay-check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, cap and rotor, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing

instchuck

January, 2, 2012 AT 1:18 AM

I certainly will follow your instructions. One more thing; when the car is in the garage, out of the weather, the damn things starts every single time. However the next time it wont, you can bet I'll try all your suggestions. I really appreciated your help. Thank you and I'll let you know.

January, 2, 2012 AT 3:04 AM

Your welcome-give it a shot-your starting point

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Pressure Test