IM CHANGING MY REAR DISC BRAKES FOR THE FIRST ...

1988 Honda Civic

shunter16

November, 30, 2012 AT 6:32 PM

Hi, I'm changing my rear disc brakes for the first time, so I wanted to know if I had to bleed the brake fluid? If I do have to, what is the best method to? And should I change just the brake shoes, or replace the drums, cylinders, and hardware (such as the springs) as well? Another thing, I'm in college so any recommendations for less expensive products would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Brake Fluid Bleeding

1 IMAGE

Brake Bleed Issues

Jacobandnickolas

November, 30, 2012 AT 6:36 PM

As long as you don't open the brake system up, you don't have to bleed the brakes. As far as procedure, inspect everything. If the hardware is in good condition, it will be fine. Just replace the brake pads.

shunter16

November, 30, 2012 AT 6:55 PM

Alright. Are there any special tools I need?

Jacobandnickolas

November, 30, 2012 AT 7:22 PM

Nothing special is needed.

homer1967

December, 1, 2012 AT 1:11 AM

You did say rear DISC brakes right?If you have rear DISC brakes then there are no shoes, drums or cylinders. So are they drum or disc?I want to help you but I need to know what you are working on. And yes either way there are certain tools that you will need.

December, 1, 2012 AT 1:51 AM

You have a drum brake on the rear -For tools needed go to this link: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/OEM-Brake-spring-pliers/_/N-26l5Z1z141ur?itemIdentifier=46854_0_0_

Also see below

shunter16

December, 1, 2012 AT 4:28 PM

Sorry I meant drum not disc.

homer1967

December, 1, 2012 AT 4:57 PM

No problem man. We just need to know exactly what you are working with so we can help you. Thank you for choosing 2 car pros.

shunter16

December, 7, 2012 AT 12:13 AM

I just did them today and first I wanted to say thanks for the advice, it helped. Secondly, now my braking is even worse and I don't have any idea what I screwed up. I basically have to press the pedal all the way to the floor before I get any braking. Any advice?

homer1967

December, 7, 2012 AT 3:35 AM

Can you get a repair manual for your vehicle?They sell them at all the parts stores. It will have pictures for you to go buy and compare to. It is impossible to say what the problem is or where you went wrong without seeing the vehicle. Please do not drive it.

shunter16

December, 7, 2012 AT 2:33 PM

Ok thanks!

Bleed and Flush Your Brake System Correctly
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Honda Element
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Ford Escape