88 WON'T STAY RUNNING

1988 Honda Civic

waffen928

December, 28, 2010 AT 9:49 PM

88 civic, the engine starts and runs long enough to use up the fuel in the supply line then dies. I put 12 volts to the fuel pump and I can hear it work. I also replaced the fuel pressure regulator. There is fuel past the main filter on the fire wall as well. I pulled the tank and removed the fuel pump and found the filter clogged with a fine power thats in the tank. I replaced the filter and put it all back together but still have the same problem. If the car sits long enough the pressure in the tank fills the feed line again and it starts but quits. I can only assume the fuel is not getting to the injectors. Could the relief valve be bad? How can I test the fuelo pressure, there isn't a shreider valve in the fuel line? Thanks for any help.

On the main fuel filter there is a service bolt for installing a pressure gauge to test the fuel pressure.

FUEL PRESSURE TESTING

1. Remove service bolt at fuel filter and attach fuel pressure gauge. Start engine. Measure fuel pressure with engine idling and vacuum hose disconnected from pressure regulator. Pressure should read 36-41 psi (2.55-2.85 kg/cm2 ).

2. If fuel pressure is not within specification, check fuel pump. See FUEL PUMP. If pump is okay, check following: If fuel pressure is greater than specification, inspect for pinched or clogged fuel return line or piping, pinched, broken or disconnected regulator vacuum hose or faulty pressure regulator.

If fuel pressure is less than specification, check for clogged fuel filter, pinched or clogged fuel hose from fuel tank to fuel pump, pressure regulator failure or leakage in fuel lines.

Replace Fuel Pressure Regulator
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement