WHAT IS A FAILED GAS CAP FUNCTIONAL TEST?

• michaelpc
  • 1987 Honda CRX

I have a 1987 Honda CRX and it wont pass smog. I believe that it is because of a failed gas cap and I was hoping someone could tell me what causes a gas cap to fail a functional test

Tuesday, September 13th, 2011 AT 3:33 AM

• Jacobandnickolas

They are designed to vent pressure at a certain point. If they release too soon or late, it will fail.

Tuesday, September 13th, 2011 AT 3:41 AM
  • michaelpc

So would buying a new gas cap fix the problem and would my car then pass?

Tuesday, September 13th, 2011 AT 3:45 AM
  • Jacobandnickolas

That I can't answer. If they said the only problem is the cap, it should. However, there could be a leak in the EVAP system. The cap is the cheapest try at this point. If there is still a leak, I recommend having the system fogged to identify where a leak is located.

Tuesday, September 13th, 2011 AT 3:47 AM
  • michaelpc

I have the failed smog test results here and the only thing that didnt pass the second test was the EGR functional. It doesnt say fail, it just says N/A. Is that a costly fix?

Tuesday, September 13th, 2011 AT 3:56 AM
  • michaelpc

The notes say: "failed test: emissions are too high, gross polluter, nox at both speeds. Whatever that means. Is there any way to tell what the problem could be?

Tuesday, September 13th, 2011 AT 3:58 AM
  • Jacobandnickolas

NA means not aplicable. Perhaps that test isn't needed where you live.

• michaelpc

So the comprehensive visual test passed, the functional check passed, but the emissions test says gross polluter and that I believe is why it failed the smog. Is repairing the vehicle to pass smog a pricey fix you think?

Tuesday, September 13th, 2011 AT 4:02 AM
  • Jacobandnickolas

It really matters what it needs. I need to know what part has failed. Since you mentioned the gas cap, I am assuming you have en EVAP leak. That can be as simple as a rubber hose that is off or damaged, or require part replacement that can get costly. Were they anymore specific about the problem?

Tuesday, September 13th, 2011 AT 4:06 AM
  • michaelpc

No I dont see anything. Everything passed, but the measurement results are almost twice as high as the gross polluter limits. It really doesnt say jack unfortunetly and I dont know what to do. Im really broke and I need to get this fixed asap.

Tuesday, September 13th, 2011 AT 4:14 AM
  • Jacobandnickolas

Can you contact the tech that checked it and ask for more specifics? I would be better able to help that way.

Tuesday, September 13th, 2011 AT 4:16 AM