CAN SOMEONE TELL ME IF I NEED TO REBUILD THE CARBURETOR?

• jhatfield0965
  • 1987 Honda CRX

I have a 1987 crx hf, it will only start when patting the gas pedal, then it goes dead.I can pour gas in the carburetor and it will stay running, as long as I keep adding gas to it. The fuel pump appears to be new, I've toke the line off at the carburetor and gas comes out of the line, when I crank the engine. I don't hear any vacuum leaks it seams as if everything is hooked up, as it should be. It has 196000 miles but the engine doesn't smoke or knock it sounds like it would go another 100000, if I could solve this problem. Please help

Monday, March 19th, 2012 AT 12:41 AM

• fixitmr

Check float for sticking see if there is a fuel level window to see if gas is in bowl. Is choke working?

Monday, March 19th, 2012 AT 12:57 AM
  • jhatfield0965

Yes I checked the level through the sight glass while it was running and while it was shut off, and it stays in the center. And the choke seems to be working as it should, it is closed when I first start it and in a matter of minutes it opens up.

Monday, March 19th, 2012 AT 1:01 AM
  • fixitmr

Have you watched venturi for gas spray? Are plugs the right color burning clean?

Monday, March 19th, 2012 AT 1:56 AM