WHY WONT MY CAR FIRE

• Bengy88
  • 1987 Ford Mustang

I have replaced the following parts twice, distributor, cap, rotor button, ignition module, coil, wires, and plugs, I have 12 volts on red and green wire on the coil, and at the module. Thanks

Wednesday, July 4th, 2012 AT 4:28 AM

• ASEMaster6371

What is the fuel pressure? Are you sure you have no spark? If you are, is the distributor turning when the motor is cranking?

Wednesday, July 4th, 2012 AT 1:21 PM
  • Bengy88

Im not sure what the fuel pressure is I put a pump in it about 2 weeks ago. It has plenty of pressure at the fuel rail, the distributor is turning and I am 100% sure it isnt firing I have tested it with by grounding a screwdriver in the wire and with a test light. I have also checked to make make sure the engine is still in time.

Wednesday, July 4th, 2012 AT 3:33 PM
  • ASEMaster6371

Did you spray carb cleaner into the intake to see if it fires up for a second?

Wednesday, July 4th, 2012 AT 4:47 PM
  • Bengy88

I tried starting fluid and it wont even try to bust off. Could the computer cause this. I have been doing this for 9 years and never seen anything like it

Wednesday, July 4th, 2012 AT 5:36 PM
  • ASEMaster6371

It has not run in 9 years?

Did you replace the stator in the distributor? If you have power to the coil, then the only part you did not replace is the stator?

Wednesday, July 4th, 2012 AT 7:28 PM
  • CJ MEDEVAC

CAN YOU (WITHOUT BREAKING STUFF, LIKE THE PLASTIC BUTTON) SORTA "FORCIBLY" TURN THE ROTOR BUTTON AND IT'S SHAFT WITH YOUR FINGERS ONLY?

SOME CW AND CCW MOVEMENT (SLOP) IS NORMAL, AS IT WILL RETURN TO POSITION.

WHAT I MEAN IS, CAN YOU DIAL IT ON AROUND WITH YOUR FINGERS, AS IF IT WERE YOUR CLOTHES DRYER K. NOB !

IF IT TURNS, YOUR DISTRIBUTOR GEAR'S ROLL PIN IS MOST LIKELY SHEARED, ALLOWING THE DISTRIBUTOR SHAFT TO ROTATE WHEN IT SHOULD NOT. BASICALLY THE ROTOR BUTTON IS NOW NOT "IN TIME" WITH THE CAMSHAFT

YOUR TURN

THEY WON'T LET US GO HOME UNTIL YOU ARE RUNNING!

Wednesday, July 4th, 2012 AT 9:56 PM
  • CJ MEDEVAC

OK I READ THIS AGAIN! I SEE THE DISTRIBUTOR WAS REPLACED!

WAS YOUR ORIGINAL DISTRIBUTOR IN THIS CONDITION (AS I SUGGESTED IN MY LAST ANSWER). AND YOU DID NOT KNOW IT?

WHEN YOU REPLACED THE DISTRIBUTOR YOU DID IT THE EZ WAY (OUT AND BACK IN, AS IT WAS POINTING)

HAVING NOT GONE THRU THE "FIND TDC STEPS" (THE HARDER WAY) TO INSTALL YOUR NEW ONE

IF SO---NOW YOUR DISTRIBUTOR IS POINTING WHEREVER THE ONE WITH THE SHEARED PIN WAS POINTING (NOT IN CORRECT TIME)

JUST SLINGING WILD STUFF OUT THERE

THIS HAPPENED TO MY DAD'S '86 T-BIRD 3.8L. IT TOOK ME A WHILE, I FINALLY FIGGERED IT OUT, I HAD NOT TURNED MY CORE IN YET, I WAS STUMPED JUST PLAYING WITH THE OLD ONE I HAD REMOVED, I FOUND THE GEAR WOULD MOVE INDEPENDENTLY OF THE SHAFT

I TOO, CHEATED AND DROPPED THE DIST IN JUST LIKE THE OLD ONE CAME OUT!

Wednesday, July 4th, 2012 AT 10:13 PM
  • Bengy88

When I changed the distributor I did it the correct way by getting it top dead center on the compression stroke, dropped it in and wired it correctly. I have checked it several times just to make sure that it was correct. Also I have checked to make sure the gear is not loose and that the backlash in the gear when I put the distributor in is like it should be. I just put a computer in the car and still nothing just to throw that out there. Thanks for the help everyone

Friday, July 6th, 2012 AT 12:41 AM
  • Bengy88

And I am sorry it took so long I have been at work

Friday, July 6th, 2012 AT 12:47 AM