• lgumns
  • 1985 Chrysler 5th Avenue
  • automatic

I cant get my 5th ave to start, its the rear wheel driver version. I cant get it to start without starting fluid, and after it starts, I can drive it about a half a block to a block before the engine shuts off. Sometimes it will start back up normally, but then die again after about anuther block or so. Seems to dies after I turn a corner and go to accellerate. It was acting up by sounding like it wasnt getting enough fuel before this problem got this bad, but it was only for a brief second or so when it did happen. I havent been able to figure it out and am hoping for answers asap, thank you to responders

Wednesday, January 26th, 2011 AT 7:47 PM

• caradiodoc

Next time it stalls, don't crank it. Hop out, remove the air cleaner lid, then look down by the throttle blade and work the throttle to see if any fuel is spraying in. If there's no fuel, first check for dripping gas along the right side of the car. A leak will draw air in instead of drawing gas from the tank. If there's no leak, I would suspect the pickup screen in the tank. I've had two similar cars do the same thing. The screen collapses and blocks the metal pickup tube. The last one I bought in the mid '90s cost me three bucks. It just slides onto the tube once the sending unit is removed from the tank.

Thursday, January 27th, 2011 AT 6:46 AM