CAR WONT START

1985 Chrysler 5th Avenue

chesneylewis

December, 6, 2010 AT 2:05 AM

We have put a new starter on and charged the battery. It is getting gas but still wont start.

caradiodoc

December, 6, 2010 AT 2:12 AM

Is it cranking fast enough? Have you checked for spark? Elaborate on "won't start". That can mean a lot of things.

ian dandois

December, 6, 2010 AT 3:21 AM

I had the same problem on a 92 fifth avenue it was one of the main computers and cost me 1500 to fix it good luck with it

caradiodoc

December, 6, 2010 AT 3:35 AM

This is a rear-wheel-drive model from the good days when they didn't have all of the unnecessary, unreliable computers, but I still don't know what the problem is.

Your '92 is the front-wheel-drive twin to my Dynasty. Chrysler had extremely little computer trouble back then, but one thing to be aware of is if your car has the factory anti-theft system, you can use any engine or body computer from a salvage yard, no silly reprogramming needed. If you do NOT have anti-theft, you MUST find either of those computers from a car that also did not have anti-theft. If either computer has anti-theft programmed in, it will teach that to the other computer, and it can not be undone. What that means is if the car doesn't have anti-theft and you stick in a computer with that programming, you will have a no-start" condition and BOTH computers will have to be replaced. Little known fact that can cause a lot of headaches.

On rare occasions a voltage spike will trick a computer into self-programming itself for anti-theft when it isn't on the car. I wonder if that's what happened to yours since it cost so much to repair. Most of the computers for your car should cost less than $500.00 for a new one and less for a rebuilt one.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right