WHERE TO GO FOR NO FUEL PRESSURE. ALREADY REPLACED FUEL PUMP AND FILTER. STILL NO READING ON GAUGE

• Ricky Lee
  • 1985 CHEVROLET CAMARO

I have no fuel pressure. I put in a new fuel pump and fuel filter. I put a gauge on the fuel line and when I turn on the key, it does not read anything. I checked the gauge on another car and it does work. What would be my next step to get this car running?

Saturday, June 16th, 2012 AT 3:27 AM

• Mhpautos

Do you have fuel flow? Check that the pressure regulator valve is ok next.

-1
Saturday, June 16th, 2012 AT 4:28 AM
  • KHLow2008

Have you checked to ensure the fuel pump is working when ignition switch is turned on?
Try pinching the return hose to see if pressure builds up if the fuel pump works.

+1
Saturday, June 16th, 2012 AT 2:03 PM
  • Ricky Lee

Mhpautos--- gas is getting to the fuel rail but just has no pressure. It is a tuned port injection. Do these have a fuel pressure regulator and if so, where would it be located?

Saturday, June 16th, 2012 AT 10:11 PM
  • Ricky Lee

KHLow2008--- I did check and the pump is working. It does pump to the fuel rail just has no pressure at all.

Saturday, June 16th, 2012 AT 10:13 PM
  • ASEMaster6371

Do you have the high pressure pump? There were 2 pumps in that year, one for tbi at 15 lbs and the one for tune port at 45.

Did you put the whole module or just the pump. I have had no luck with build a pump replacements.

Saturday, June 16th, 2012 AT 10:54 PM
  • Ricky Lee

ASEMaster6371---- it is for the tune port. I just came in and I have good gas flow up to the regulator so I believe that is probably it but have no idea how to get to the regulator. It is under the top piece. It has 6 screws in it but it will not pop up after I take them out. Is there anything else connected to the top piece that has the air filters connected to it?

Sunday, June 17th, 2012 AT 1:09 AM
  • KHLow2008

You mean the fuel rail? Apart fromt eh holding bolts, there should be nothing else holding it. You might need to shake the rail to loosen it as it could be stuck.

There is a return hose coming out of the regulator. Pinch it with a clamp to prevent fuel from flowning and test the fuel pressure again. If pressure builds up, you know foe sure the regulator is bad.

Sunday, June 17th, 2012 AT 7:22 AM
  • Ricky Lee

@KHLow2008--- I just pinched the return line and I did get some pressure but it was only 20 lbs. If I change the regulator, will I get the pressure I need?

Monday, June 25th, 2012 AT 1:06 PM
  • KHLow2008

The regulator is bad and replacing it would get you some pressure. As to if it is sufficient, that would depend.

With return line pinched, try cycling the ignition on and off a few times to see if thr pressure builds up.

Monday, June 25th, 2012 AT 4:54 PM
  • Ricky Lee

@KHLow2008--- I tried to cycle the engine but the pressure did not go up.

Monday, June 25th, 2012 AT 5:19 PM