83 CARBURATOR ISSUE

1983 Buick Park Avenue

cubby

December, 13, 2010 AT 3:13 AM

Had installed 2 years ago, brand new carburator. Same as original. Mechanic adjusted winter and spring for 2 years. No longer available. Car has a difficult start and then runs extremely rough with first start of the day. However, after about 1 block the engine smooths out and there is no more problem the rest of the day. It does have a smell of fuel when parked in the garage after driving. Occasionally I will run Barryman's b12 through the tank. I also try to buy the 92 grade fuel at Shell or Mobil. Apparently, this does not help enough or at all. Any further help is much appreciated. Thanks for all of your help in the past and now. Cubby

mhpautos

December, 13, 2010 AT 3:17 AM

You will have to find a mechanic from the old school, someone that can check the choke settings, I feel that the problem is here.

December, 13, 2010 AT 3:21 AM

As suggested earlier with the inital choke opening adjustment also the fast idle cam adjustment needs to checked/adjusted too.

cubby

December, 25, 2010 AT 8:36 AM

Hi Car Pros. I did what you suggested and the carb needed a choke pull off? - But additionally, there were other things that had to be done which were also problems: new radiator, water pump and thermostat. It also needed new plugs as all the fouling of gasoline. Anyway, it turned into more than expected, but after looking at all the original parts, it is amazing it started at all. Thanks, guys for giving me enough info to get me started. Cubby

January, 7, 2011 AT 5:02 AM

You're welcome and TY for using 2carpros

Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Saturn Vue
Seat Switch Replacement GMC Yukon
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Dynamat Door Installation