HOW DO I FIX MY GAS GAUGE?

1981 Chevrolet Camaro

81camaro

May, 24, 2012 AT 5:25 AM

My gas gauge just stopped completely. I need to figure out if it's the float in the tank or a wire. I changed the fuses but nothing happen. When the gas gauge went out I was driving down the road and the rpm went out at the same time.

DrCranknWrench

May, 24, 2012 AT 5:41 AM

It probably has something to do with a bad ground or the thermistor may be corroded. The float can get stuck, but you would find it stuck at one point usually.
I don't have specs for your car. However, the setup is pretty common. Under the rear seat is a plate that accesses the fuel gauge arm and leags to the gas gauge and sometimes the fuel pump wires are run through here as well. Remove the back seat and the cover. Inspect the wiring for corrosion and make sure all fittings are tight metal to metal fitting and check grounds as well. Check the gas gauge by seeing if the resistance changes when moved from bottom to top out of the vehicle. If you can get it to move freely and clean the connectors, they usually work fine.

cadieman

May, 24, 2012 AT 6:32 AM

Replace the sending unit.

Instrument Cluster Replacement GMC Yukon
Fuel Filter Change
Fuel Filter Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Fuel Filter Replacement Toyota Tacoma