WHY IS IT HARD TO START WHEN COLD?

1978 Cadillac Deville

caddydaddy78

June, 13, 2012 AT 3:02 PM

I inherited a big 78 Caddy that sat in a car port for six months unused. The engine is a 7 litre with a 4 bbl carb. 106,000 miles

I put in platinum spark plugs (heard mixed reviews about that) recommended by auto zone. Gapped the plugs as suggested.

I installed new plug wires.

A mechanic rebuilt the distributor area for me.

I have to crank the pedel about six-10 times, sometimes wait a minute before she cranks. Once she is warm, she starts right up. Even after 6 hours she will crank instantly. It is when it sits over night it is a pain.

What can I do to fix this?

Thank you!

June, 13, 2012 AT 3:29 PM

Check the carb fuel float level and look out for leaks. If there are leaks, the float chamber would be dry and that would require exensive cranking time before it fires up.
Check the choke condition as well.

caddydaddy78

June, 13, 2012 AT 4:21 PM

Thank you for the advice. That makes sense to me. I will find someone to help with this since I do not know how to do it, and do not want to pay $120 an hour at a firestone.

Wrenchtech

June, 13, 2012 AT 5:08 PM

[quote]do not want to pay $120 an hour at a firestone.[/Quote]

I doubt they will either and they certainly aren't worth $120hr there.

Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe