START AFTER STORAGE

1977 Chevrolet Truck

jumpsticks

March, 14, 2011 AT 5:45 PM

1977 Chevy truck (6 cyl. 3 spd) not started in 4 years. Has new battery but will not crank. When trying to start, the instrument panel lights go out. What do I nned to do?

caradiodoc

March, 14, 2011 AT 5:55 PM

There's a bad connection somewhere. Check the connections on the starter as that's where GM ties in with the wires feeding the rest of the truck. Don't overlook the cable connections on your new battery. Also check the small black wire from the battery negative cable where it is bolted to the inner fender or body. If you don't find the problem, have a test light or digital voltmeter handy when you holler back.

caradiodoc

March, 14, 2011 AT 6:24 PM

Once you get the problem to appear, either by trying to start the engine or by turning on the head lights, leave whatever you turned on, on so the problem doesn't have a chance to correct itself. I like to leave the head lights turned on so I can watch for a change in brightness when I wiggle wires. Use a test light or voltmeter to measure the voltage at the bolts holding the battery cables to the battery. You must find at least 12.0 volts or the test light must be bright. If not, clean and tighten those connections.

jumpsticks

March, 15, 2011 AT 3:25 AM

Will try tomorrow. I think I may have a bad connection to one of the battery terminals. Thanks, I'll let you know

Oil Change and Oil Filter Replacement VW
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front Ford
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Chevrolet
Engine Oil Change and Filter GMC Sierra