CARBURETOR PROBLEMS

1970 Ford Galaxie

Papajohnslice

September, 17, 2013 AT 3:52 PM

I'm working on a 1970 ford galaxie 500, it has a 351 windsor with a 2 barrel autoline 2100 carb, the carb was acting up, having some starting problems (wasn't a vapor lock) so I rebuilt the carb, had everything precise, intalled it back on the car and and started the engine, the car ran great, wasn't backfiring or anything, drove the car around for a little bit and noticed it wanting to stall any time I came to a complete stop and started to go again, well I knew it was to rich and remembered I had punctured a hole in the fuel filter (huge mistake I know) so I took it down to an auto parts store and put a new filter on it, I went to start it, and would not start, I gave it a little gas during the start and it started right up, I let my foot of the gas and let it idle, well the idle was terrible and then eventually killed itself, I remember I forgot to attach the vacuum line, so I put the line on and tried to start it, but it did the same thing, I checked the pump, and the filter, the line filter is brand new and in the right way, i'm not sure why but it worked fine. Then just stopped, any ideas?

Carb

Jacobandnickolas

September, 17, 2013 AT 6:12 PM

Are you sure the fuel pump is working properly? Was this vehicle sitting in storage or anything like that?

Papajohnslice

September, 17, 2013 AT 7:18 PM

Seems to be, I tried to light the dipstick and it didn't catch, and I put my finger on the end of the filter while I had somebody crank the car, and there was enough pressure to where I couldn't hold my finger on, not to mention when I disconnected the hose for the filter it was blowing out gas just from pressure

Papajohnslice

September, 18, 2013 AT 6:01 PM

It is extremely fuel rich, got a new carb and installed it, and now the car will hardly start, with the choke open and the throttle all the way open it will barley start at maybe 600 rpm, and stutters profoundly, I really need help on this one, I checked the compression and i'm getting no less than 110 on all cylinders, the pump seems to be fine, and the points are set right, all cylinders are firing properly, I checked all the plugs and wires, the only thing I can really think it might be is a vacuum leak, the old carb had 1 vacuum line attachment and they new one has 2, I have tried closing both of them, having one closed and the other open and both open, I have tried numerous things with the vacuum lines and still nothing, I really need some good help, thank you

Jacobandnickolas

September, 18, 2013 AT 7:20 PM

Have you adjusted the air fuel mixture? Are you sure the float is set properly? Is the fuel in the vehicle fresh?

Papajohnslice

September, 18, 2013 AT 7:32 PM

Brand new fuel, brand new carburetor, everything is factory set, unless it could be something the factory did wrong I don't think I should have to adjust anything on the carburetor, is that what you're recommending?

Jacobandnickolas

September, 18, 2013 AT 7:34 PM

I would recommend adjusting the air fuel mixture

Papajohnslice

September, 18, 2013 AT 8:05 PM

Alright, my memory is a little shot, that's the 2 screws on the bottom of the carb correct? Should be painted yellow if i'm not mistake, and what if that doesn't work?

Jacobandnickolas

September, 19, 2013 AT 8:44 AM

There are two screws. One is the air the other is the fuel mixture. Turn both in the entire way and screw them out 1.5 turns. Fine tune from that point.

Papajohnslice

September, 19, 2013 AT 8:52 AM

I did, it preformed best at about 2 turns each, still not that much of an improvement, but it started earlier when it was cold and ran kind of ruff, but it was able to idle, probably at about 800 or so, which is amazing because it wouldn't idle on it's own yesterday

Papajohnslice

September, 19, 2013 AT 3:12 PM

Alright I have determined through a few tests, it's a vacuum leak, whenever I pull the throttle back, the vacuum is depleted profoundly, it almost completely looses vacuum when throttle pulled back, i'm thinking vacuum advance, any idea?

Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Filter Mount Replacement Chevrolet