1966 FORD MUSTANG WONT START UNLESS I DUMP GAS IN THE CARB

• 2CarPros-Archives
  • 1966 Ford Mustang

1966 Ford Mustang mileage: 77,000. My car will start right back up after I shut it off, but when it sets overnight, I have to dump gas in the carburetor to get it started, is it my carburetor sticking or the fuel pump?I just bought it and it runs great otherwise what do you think the problem might be.

Tuesday, February 8th, 2011 AT 11:33 PM

• 2CarPros-Archives

Check the choke to see that it is operating properly. Also, check fuel pump after the car sets overnight. If the valves in the fuel pump are leaking, it may be causing your hard starting problem and should be replaced.

Tuesday, February 8th, 2011 AT 11:35 PM
  • caradiodoc

Also, stick your eyeballs down the center of the carburetor to see if there are two nice fuel streams when you push the throttle by hand. If not, the fuel is either leaking from the base of the carburetor or it is evaporating out. After some passages are drilled in the body, lead plugs are pressed in to close up the holes. If one of those plugs are leaking, they can be sealed with epoxy. You should smell the fuel too when you get close.

When you park it at night, remove the air cleaner housing and tie a plastic bag around the entire carburetor. If the engine starts right away the next morning, (after removing the bag), the fuel is evaporating out.

A weak accelerator pump will do this too but it will usually also cause a severe stumble when you want to accelerate.

Wednesday, February 9th, 2011 AT 12:20 AM