1957 500

1961 Ford Fairlane

CHSPD116

June, 27, 2011 AT 5:33 PM

How do I replace a fuel sending unit in a 1957 Ford Fairlane 500? I was told you can go through the trunk, but is that correct?

Docfixit

June, 27, 2011 AT 5:59 PM

Don't think so tank needs to be removed. Working on car that old need to get a good manual and look for a FORD club in your area

June, 27, 2011 AT 7:30 PM

Is there a removable cover in the trunk, which would allow you access to the top of the tank?

I too, mess with "proven", been around along time, non-disposable vehicles!

Mine are a bit simpler!

If not equipped, I make my own. With my "Nelsomatic Whizzy Accesses", in my '77 CJ5 ("Mr. Jeep"), I can change the heater motor and fan, and heater core (30 minutes, tops!), By ONLY removing my battery tray----Not remove the Whole dash, then the whole heater (a long ordeal), as some goofy engineer designed it to begin with!

I even took the measurements, off of 2 or more "Known Points" as to share the layout with others. Yes, my initial Thinking, measuring, plotting, and cutting was slow and tedious. But now it's well worth it, and helps the next feller a bunch!

1st pic is "Willy", my '46 Willys Jeep. He too, is now user-friendlier with some "Nelsomatic Breakthrus"

The Medic

Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement