RICKETING" NOISE

Jeep

rsioson

September, 19, 2006 AT 10:38 PM

I have a '98 Jeep TJ, 111,000 miles. I recently had a 1.5inch lift kit installed, and I started having vibrations underneath during intial load in first gear. I inspected and had to replace my U-joints, but the vibration is still there during initial load and now, there's a "ricketing" noise under 5mph! It sounds like a crunching metal, churning noise coming from the front left wheel, under or near the transmission. What could this be? Can anyone help me?

demearsjr

September, 24, 2006 AT 10:50 PM

It's hard to tell without the vehicle being here, but it might be your clutch.
Possibly your pressure plate.

bubba_koski

September, 28, 2006 AT 1:08 PM

First of all is the lift body or suspension, second of all get some lucas oil additive, if it quiets the noise then your looking at a valve job, just a quick diagnose even if you KNOW its got nothing to do with that, then go from there also check your chassis, and u joints

demearsjr

October, 1, 2006 AT 9:57 PM

U joints aren't usually a problem till you go to 3inches or more on a suspension lift.
Lucas is an additive if you have leaks or slippage.
It's thicker than regular oil and clogs the leaks or fills the spaces in between your bands.
It's a quick fix.
I don't think it will help your situation.

bubba_koski

October, 4, 2006 AT 5:37 PM

Dude you oviously dont know anything autozone aint nothin compared with advance, look lucas also lubricates the valves and stops noises, you know the thing thats makes sound, it aint going to be the clutch, if anything the slave cylinder, but know check you harmonic ballancer it could have thrown it off track a smidgon, or your timing belt/chain

_____________
ASE Certified
Advance Auto
9289

demearsjr

October, 5, 2006 AT 11:02 AM

Dude, this is a site to help people out, not whine about how great your company is or how bad mine is.
If you want to do that you can pm me.

October, 6, 2011 AT 3:34 AM

HOW 'BOUT A LITTLE MORE DIAGNOSING ON YOUR END!

LET'S GET IN AN ABANDONED PARKING LOT, LET'S DO 5 MPH IN REVERSE. WHATSIT DO?

LEFT AND RIGHT TURNS WHEN IT MAKING RACKET?

IS THE NOISE CONSTANT WITH THE WHEELS ROLLING OR DOES IT "KEEP TIME" WITH THE ENGINE?

PUSHING THE CLUTCH IN SLIGHTLY, OR SLOWLY, IS THERE ANY CHANGE IN THE PITCH ETC?

WHAT ABOUT BRAKING, FORWARD AND REVERSE, TURNING

OK WRITE ALL OF THIS STUFF DOWN, WHAT HAPPENS WHEN WHAT CHANGES IT, AND WHAT DOESN'T. COME UP WITH OTHER STUFF ON YOUR OWN, THE MORE STUFF YOU POST, IT MAY BECOME MORE APPARENT WHAT TO GO AFTER!

THE MORE DETAIL, THE BETTER YOU INFORM US

October, 6, 2011 AT 3:51 AM

SORTA DIDN'T SEE THE DATES---HOW DID IT EVEN GET BACK INTO THE FORUM.I DIDN'T GO GET IT!

Replace Drive Shaft U-Joint Like a Pro
Drive Shaft Removal - All Cars
Transmission Speed Sensor Replacement Honda