SOUNDS LIKE A BIG OLD BOAT CREEKIN

1999 Lincoln Continental

Suspension problem
1999 Lincoln Continental V8 Front Wheel Drive Automatic 83000 miles

Hi,

when I turn the wheel left or right it makes this deep creeking noise and sounds like an old boat in a movie.
Also, I just put in a rebuilt transmission and there is a squeek there too, but nothing like the other.
LME

Try using some lubricant on the rubber parts. I have had it that the rubber would get dry and with each turn the thing would sound like a old boat in rough waves.

M_H_RITZEL
My mhusband thought he did that already. Anyother thoughts?

LME
It could be from something that is dry and creaking. Sometimes I could something minor to something more serious. I would have the front end checked out to be on the safe side.

M_H_RITZEL
Hello I have a 99 continental and it did the same thing. It was the ball joints, and of course wouldn't you know they were the kind with no grease fittings. So I sliced the boot surrounding the ball joint and put grease in it. It worked will make the joints last longer and it is quite. Dana

Closencounter
If your ball joints creak, replace them so you dont find yourself in a ditch. TOWN CAR has a completely different steering gear than continental, on the spindle there is a stop point that hits the frame in a full turn. A small biy of grease there can solve the problem. If it creaks just going over bumps, check ball joints and control arm bushings.

Merlin2021