ABS LIGHT ON&OFF INTERMITTENTLY APPLYIN

2001 Kia Optima

Brakes problem
2001 Kia Optima 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 117000 miles

Basically what happens is the ABS light goes on and off intermittently and then the emergency brake light indicator goes on and the the car engine stops momentarily with a jerk and then again starts moving. In certain occasions it comes to a complete stop. It is very scary to drive the car.I have already replaced the timing and the serpentine belt but still have the problem. Continuously the ABS light goes on and off sometimes it stops the engine and sometimes does not do nothing.
Rsmnayeem

Have you had the computer scanned for codes? Most parts stores will do it for free.

I do not see the check engine light. So ideallly I hope that I would not get a code even if I check.

Rsmnayeem
My car is doing the same thing. Les Schwab says it's an air pocket in the ABS Modulator. Easy fix. Drive 25 miles per hr on a gravel road and then slam on the brakes. This should remove the air pocket.

Dsansalone
The ABS light coming on means that the computer is seeing a problem with the ABS system, which won't set the CEL light, especially since the ABS system has nothing to do with the engine. You need to have someone scan the system for all codes, soft and hard. And then let us know what you find out.

Rivermikerat