1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 170000 miles

I am thinking of replacing my motor and transmission in the spring. I currently have a all wheel drive all the time transmission. I belive they offered a transmission that let you select 4x2 or 4x4 instead of all awd all the time. Will this transmission drop in and will it fitt a standard 4.0 liter.

Hello. Thanks for the doantion. Much appreciated

The only transfer case option on this vehicle was the NV247. Which is all wheel dirve model. They did not make an option for 2 wheel 4 wheel selecting on this year model. Replacing the engine and transmission will have no effect on 2WD or 4WD selecting as this is seperate from the trans in the transfer case

Vehicle ApplicationTransfer Case Model
Jeep Grand Cherokee. NV 247

Transfer case can be identified by an I.D. Tag, located on rear case. I.D. Tag provides model number, serial number and low range ratio. This information is necessary when ordering parts.
New Venture 247 is a full time 4WD unit with 2 operating ranges. Operating ranges are 4WD-High and 4WD-Low. The 4WD-Low range is used for extra pulling power and in off-road situations. Operating ranges are selected with a floor mounted shift lever. Engine torque is distributed to front and rear axles through a viscous coupling.

Dave H