HARD TO START SOMETIMES

2004 Honda Pilot

2004 Honda Pilot 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 70,000 miles

My 2004 Pilot is hard to start sometimes like once a month or so. Just replaced the original battery. Had battery and alternator checked and everything checks out fine. When it is hard to start it is usually after being outside for 8 hours or so. The starter is definitely cranking but just won't turnover until about the 3rd try.
MZirp

First, a 2004 Honda Pilot has coil-on-plug igntion so you can't pull a plug wire. Each plug has it's own coil and their is no secondary plug wires like there were on older cars. The plug itself is in a deep socket. I suppose you could remove the bolt retaining the coil and pull out the whole coil/plug connector assembly but that will be a PITA with the back cylinders. Second, even if you could do this with a 2004 Pilot, you shouldn't just hold a plug close to ground. You should just put a spare plug in the plug wire and ground that. But a better way to do it would be to use an inductive ignition tester. They only cost a couple bucks. But I'm not sure you could even do that because there is no secondary plug wire on this car at all. It may be possible to get results, though, by holding the tool by the individual coils but I'm not sure about that.

Bobmiller