ENGINE REVS UP ON START

2000 Honda Odyssey

2000 Honda Odyssey 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 161000 miles

when I start my engine the rpm is pretty high for a cold start. The rpm goes up and down as if some is peddaling the accelerator up and down. I checked the engine oil. I was due for an oil change. The level was pretty low. So I got the SAE5W-30 oil and filled it up so that I can get it to a mechanic shop. No matter what I am doing engine revs up. Even though I am on brake, still engine revs up and tries to accelerate. I was wondering what might be the cause. The engine does not seem to leak any oil at all, but could not understand how the oil level went so low just for 300 miles over the recommended limit. Friends are driving well over a 1000 miles.
can anyone tell me what the problem might be. Thank you in advance.
Saahilsh

Hi Saahilsh,

For the age and mileage of the engine, oil consumption can occur due to worn valve seals.

For engine to surge, it is usually due to excessive air getting past the throttle body and possible causes are leaking vacumns. The other item to cause surging would be the Idle Air Control valve. It could be stuck in the open position and when that occurs, excessive gets past the throttle bodt.

Check the coolant level and the hoses to and out of the IAC. Insufficient coolant or clogged coolant hoses are possible causes.