SHIFTING PROBLEMS

1998 Honda Accord

1998 Honda Accord 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 168000 miles

About a few weeks back I was going up MontEagle Mountain in my car when I noticed that it wouldn't hardly pull itself up the hill. I stopped at a store and turned my car off to let it rest for a second and checked the trans fluid it was fine. When I continued on my trip the car run fine for about another hour, then I noticed that the car started to have problems staying in gear for example I would lose D4 then I would shift into D3 and it worked for a while and then it started doing the same thing in that gear. I stopped again and let it rest for a few more minutes and it run fine again. It kept this pattern for a few days and I finally had someone come scan it they said it showed three different codes P0730, P0740, and P0138 I believe this is right that last one was I know that they said one was the gear ratio anyways they reset the codes and the car run fine for about 10 minutes and then started slipping again. I have not touched it since until today when I decided to drive it and it run fine for about 30 minutes with me having to only turn it off once in that time and then it run fine again. Could it be a lock up shift solenoid? Or if you have any suggestions of what it might be that would be great because I have been told that I need a new transmission but have also been told I do not. Any advice would be great thanks!
Accord_boi

Same Problem,

My Accord started having a very simialr problem on Friday. Mine is a little less controllable. I've found that if I press the accelerator and rev it up, it will up shift to the proper gear for while before shifting down again. I am taking mine to the shop tomorrow. If I learn anything, I will try to post here. Please post again if you learn anything.

Thanks, Ndmad

Ndmand