ABS & BRAKE LIGHT

2003 Ford Windstar

2003 Ford Windstar Engine Size unknown Wheel Drive Type unknown Automatic 47000 miles

Hello all. I've been searching the internet for answers to the problems I've been having with my Ford Windstar. I also have problems with the ABS and Brake lights going on and off for no apparent reason. It only happens when the engine is warmed up, but not everytime I drive it. A few weeks ago, I had a fuse blow that knocked out my odometer, speedometer, fuel computer info, etc. I replaced it, and all of that worked fine. Yesterday, I had to have a new battery put in, and now, that same fuse has blown 3 times. I read on another board that a master cylinder leak could be causing the blown fuse. Is it possible that when the battery was replaced, it moved something around that is causing the leak to more directly hit the wires, causing the blown fuse? Or could it be the battery itself? So, I have the brake light problem, and now a fuse blowing repeatedly. I read in some of the other posts about putting a jumper between the relays. Here's my problem: I have NO experience with mechanical repair, and my husband isn't much better. I hate to take it into a shop, because I know I'll be taken for a ride. Any ideas for someone who needs to do it themselves, but doesn't want to cause further damage?

Thanks!
Deanne
Bellerd

It's probably not the master cylinder leaking. Instead it is most likely the brake pressure switch. It is located on the bottom of the master cylinder and has a bad rep of leaking. When it leaks it shorts the wires and pops the fuse. Check your Ford dealer. If you have heard of the recall involving F and E series Fords, they recently added several other models to that recall. Call them to find out if your vehicle os part of that. Otherwise replace that switch and clean everything completely. It should solve your concern.

Flexy5