SPUTTERING OR MISSING

2004 Ford Taurus

2004 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 65000 miles

my car suters or at least it seems like sputteing. Any ideas?
Mcoyle42

First thing you need to do is have the codes read, Autozone does it free, Post the results with the code number(s). Even if the service engine light is not on, there should be freeze frame data stored.
If it won't make it to Autozone, buy a cheap scanner, they can be had for 30-40 dollars, a good investment, since they cover all cars sold in the USA from 96 on.
If the light is blinking, it means possible damage to the converter. Service it right away!

Merlin2021
Thanks for the advice! The code came up P0301 and P0302 which are cylinder numbes 1 and 2 misfiring and also P0316 which is misfire detected at startup. Guess its a good idea to start with plugs right? I have the 24 valve engine with individual coil packs

Mcoyle42
Plugs should at least be checked. Unfortunately this can be anything from fuel injectors, plugs, coils and PCM.
You can replace the plugs and if the codes come back, try moving the coils to 3 & 4 cylinders, and code should change to P0303 and P0304, this would tell you if the coils are bad or not. Injectors should ohm out at 11-18 ohms.

Merlin2021
My 2004 does the same thing. But it comes up with a differant code and it says to replace the MAF sensor, which I did, Replace the plugs and wires, done, and replace oxygen sensors, done that too, but guess what it still spits sputters and revs to 3000 on its own.

Rednekwizard
Post the code(s) here and I'll look at it!

Merlin2021
P0171
P0174
these are the codes that keep coming up

Rednekwizard
These are lean codes for both banks and you have a vacuum leaks, check the air tunnel from the air cleaner to the throttle body and the clamps and gaskets, there is unmetered air getting in throwing off the maf sensor and idle air control system.

You may have a vacuum leak, get a can of spray gumout, spray the vac lines and maniflod area, when the idle changes, youve found the leak! You want the engine running and spray on the outside but do direct the stream onto the hoses, if it is a vacuum leak, the engine idle will change speed, then you have detected a leak, repair the vacuum leak and see how it runs! If that doesnt do it, you may need a new idle air control valve, it's bolted to the throttlebody
Pay attention to the PVC system and hoses as well!

Merlin2021