REAR BRAKE SHOES

2003 Ford Taurus

I just replaced my rear brake shoes on my Taurus. I've changed pads before several times, never shoes. I thougth I did it correctly, but when I took it for a spin I noticed a little grinding sound, and I also noticed brake fluid dripping out from the cylinder area. Hopefully I haven't messed it up too bad, but what steps do you think I missed? I put it back together exactly like it was. Thanks.
JeffDenhard

Before changing the shoes, did you pull back the rubber boots on the wheel cylinders to make sure the were dry? One or both may have been border line, and getting them back to working condition may have put them over the edge. The grinding, assuming every was done right, is probably the crust build up on the drum rubbing on the backing plate. IF you pryed the drums off, you may have bent the backing plate. Take them back off and get a look before the fluid gets on the new shoes.

I did not pull the rubber boot back. I did press them in slightly to allow for proper fit of the new shoe. I didn't have to pry the drum off. I'll check for rust, because there was some and while I was careful to get it all clean (as possible) some may still be in there.

JeffDenhard
Fair chance you'll need wheel cylinders, but need to look. There is a ridge that gets built up on the drum from the shoes wearing into the drum that I usually grind off before re-installing it, that may be the noise you hear as well.

After you slide the drum on and have the shoes adjusted, spin the drum and listen.

Great. I'll take a look at it in the morning and let you know. Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

JeffDenhard