OVERHEATING

2000 Ford Taurus

Engine Cooling problem
2000 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 159000 miles

The car has been running fine for the two+ years I have owned it. A couple of days ago while driving in stop and go traffic (0-35mph) it overheated. I was able to get it off the highway and shutdown as soon as I saw the smoke/steem. Popped the hood and found the coolant to be very low in the res. I let the engine cool down as I walked to the nearest gas station and purchased new 50/50 coolant to top it off to try to get her home. After I topped her off, I let her idle for about 10 min. To see if she would over heat again. While idling I noticed the cooling fans (2 on radiator) were not coming on at all so, I turned on the defrost thinking that would make them come on. Instead the A/C pump started squeling and looked like coolant was spraying out of it, after running the defrost for about 1 min. So, I immeadiately turned the defrost off and continued to just let it idle (10 more min.) It stayed within opperating range so I drove it home with no overheating issues. When I got home it had leaked out some more coolant after it was sitting and the cooling fans did not come on at all. The next day I tried to run it with the defrost on again and got the same result as before. So far I have checked is the thrmostat and it seems to be fine but considering the low cost I am going to replace it any way. I have also checked the cooling fan fuses and they are fine. I am hoping this will be an easy fix, from what I have read on this site about over heating I don't really know what I should do next? I know it sounds like the A/C pump is done for but, will you help me if that is not the only problem? As I mentioned, the cooling fans are not coming on at all? Please help
Jjungerman1

Well the coolant leaking is the prob with the overheating. Or atleast one of the probs. The cooling fans not running is also a prob 2 diff probs

this car has a multifunction relay on it this operates the cooling fans a/c but first start the eng unplug the coolant temp sensor located near the bottom of the upper radiator hose does the fans come on when you do this?

If yes sensor is bad replace. Now have your cooling system pressure tested this will tell you exactly where it is losing coolant.

Billymac