CAR JERKS BACK AND FORTH, REFUSES TO DOWNS

1994 Ford Taurus

1994 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 194009 miles

I drove my '94 Taurus from NC to AZ with no problems. Now that I'm here in AZ, though, my speedometer has stopped working and my entire car jerks violently whenever I'm doing anything BUT accelerating, including braking, coasting, or even sometimes when I ease off the gas a little bit. When I get up to highway speeds, 60+, everything gets better. My speedometer suddenly works, my transmission is fine, I have no problems. When I slow down again, the transmission acts up again, though not as badly, and the speedo keeps working until I come to a dead stop, like at a red light.

I have two more days of pretty serious driving ahead of me before I can stop long enough for a serious repair job. There's a mechanic across from my hotel and I can stay a day - is this the kind of repair that can be done in that time? And if I keep driving it until Tuesday, will I be okay?
Glenis

Loosen the retaining nut/bolt holding the sensor in the transaxle. Remove the driven gear with the sensor from the transaxle.
Disconnect the electrical connector from the speed sensor.
Disconnect the speedometer cable by pulling it out of the speed sensor.
Do not attempt to remove the spring retainer clip with the speedometer cable in the sensor.

For 1992-95 vehicles equipped with and automatic transaxle, remove the driven gear retainer and driven gear from the speed sensor.
To install:

Position the driven gear to the speed sensor. Install the gear retainer.
Engage the electrical connector.
Make sure the internal O-ring is properly seated in the sensor housing. Snap the speedometer cable into the sensor housing.
Insert the sensor assembly into the transaxle housing. Tighten the retaining nut/bolt to 30-40 inch lbs. (3.4-4.5 Nm). Install the retaining clip.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/52960_0900c15280063888_1.jpg

Jnovack
Yeah, but will it hurt to wait to do it? Can I keep driving or will I blow up?

Glenis
How far of a drive

Jnovack
About 250 miles.

Glenis
I would replace before but should not hurt car will run bad

Jnovack