VACUUM LEAK

Ford Mustang

: D Hello,
I was driving my 2001 Mustang GT the highway and my [u: 385872a646]engine sevice soon[/u: 385872a646] light came on. I took it to auto zone and they checked it with their code device. The computer said my car had a vacuum leak and the auto part guy said it was a small leak in the hoses. Well I don't have that much time with work and school. Where so the most common vacuum leaks occur so I can pin point them ASAP? If you can please help me out with that.

JesseG-T

Too many possibilities, need tighter info, what code did they get? Could be simple as a bad gasket on your gas cap, system checks itself for leaks. Get the code number, there's info on here to direct you.

TaurusWheel
: D EVAP PO442 Emission control system leak.

JesseG-T
Has to do with your evap system, which consists of various hoses, solenoids, gas tank, canister and of course the gas cap. Listed as a small evaporative system leak in the book. First thing I would do is carefully check the gas cap, make sure the gasket is not torn or threads are not crossed, then check the filler pipe along it's length to make sure it's not damaged. Check all hoses for disconnection, breaks, unhooked electrical connectors on the related electrical parts, may take some work on your part to follow the pieces as they wind around the engine, hopefully it's something you can see, if not there are tests that can be run, most are beyond the driveway mechanic's ability as the dealer uses a specialized evap system tester to find problems that aren't readily apparent

TaurusWheel