ENGINE STALLS WHEN RPMS PASS 2000

2005 Ford Freestar

2005 Ford Freestar 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 159000 miles

error code stated cam position sensor, replaced sensor but the problem still there, no other codes given still getting cam pos. Sensor code. Engine seems to run fine until you go above 2000 rpms and it stalls and the belt squeels, what are the other possible problems to cause this condition? This is my sister in-law's vehicle and trying to get it fixed.
Jtlouden

Hi jtlouden,

Thank you for the donation.

What was the EXACT trouble code retrieved?

Exact code I got was P0340

Jtlouden
Was the alternator ever replaced?

Seems there were many cases of faulty alternators causing the problem. GEt the charging system checked.

Other possible causes are the CMP synchronisation, camshaft timing or gear problem.

Is your engine type 3.9 or 4.2 L?

I believe the alternater was replaced in the past year, the engine is the 3.9L one thing I forgot to mention- unsure if it makes a difference- when I replaced the cam sensor made no difference so I took it off again cleaned the contacts of the connectors and cleaned with electrical contact cleaner where the sensor itself goes and reassembled it. And for about 1 minute thought that fixed it- ran above 2000rpm to about 4000 rpm then it started stalling there then started stalling again just above 2000 rpm, she also just had the power steering pump replaced belt tensioner and belt

Jtlouden
Since alternator was replaced before, I would suggest checking it first. Many technicians all over had encuntered a fault with the alternator trigggering P0340.

My Ford Freestar SEL 2004 also is having the trouble code P0340. The car was started with the air conditioner on full blast. I don't know if that makes a difference. Twice (June 1st and July 15th). Both times the incidents were LIFE THREATENING. We had just pulled out of the church parking lot and were headed home, 20 miles away. We progressed 1/2 a block when the car engine died out and we had no power - with a line of impatient cars behind us. We managed to drive to my brother's house (normally a 5 minute drive). It took us 45 minutes - (turn ignition on - start up, then die). At this point I am so discouraged. We just bought this car in March 2010. We replaced the transmission 2 years ago ($3,000). Now the computer tester says P0340. My brother tested it then reset the computer. Now the car dealership cannot get a reading on it. The same thing happened on the first incident. Advance Auto tested it then cleared the computer. All mechanics cannot get a picture of this problem. So far Venters Ford in Ayden, NC has completed its 100,000 mile checkup. They have replaced a SOLONOID; all spark plugs; oil change. Two days after we paid Venters $559 for the service, the car began the same ENGINE trouble. We drove it back to VENTERS and they will not release our car back to us until they figure this out. However, they cannot get the CODE to come up, because in both instances the mechanics that tested it with their computer testers erased the codes. I did not know that I needed the printout in order to have it repaired. HELP!

Tom4ever
This is in addition to the comments of tom4ever (Jul 22, 2012). The alternator was replaced in 2010. We had to special order it to get the correct size, as the 4.2L Freestar uses a larger algernator than those sold at Advance Auto. It has worked but could it also be something to consider? I have no idea why VEnters Ford replaced a solonoid.

Tom4ever
Check the alternator voltage when the engine RPM is brought over 2000 RPM. You mentioned a squealing sound. Where is that coming from? It could be a worn bearing in the alternator.

Rivermikerat