F150 O2 SENSOR

1997 Ford F-150

Other Category problem
1997 Ford F150 V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 280000 miles

I hope you guys can help, I have a check engine light that comes on. I purchased a code reader/clearer and it tellls me it is a o2 sensor. The problem is it has 4 sensors, 2 before the cats and 2 after and I am not sure which one of the 4 to change, any advice would be bennificial.

Thanks lyle
Outdoorlyle

Can you post the exact code P017*

Blackop555
I will check this weekend and get back to you.
Also would you know how to check a o2 sensor manually?

Thanks for the reply
Lyle

Outdoorlyle
O2 sensor tests are hard to do and you ususally need special equipement, and the tests results are often inconclusive.

Blackop555
Hi blacktop, the code came in as p0175.
I understand this means a rich condition and it refers to bank 2. Can you tell me what side bank 2 is and if the sensor is before or after the cat.

Thanks for the help.
Lyle

Outdoorlyle
P0175 came up
I understand it means to rich bank #2
What side is bank#2 and is it before or after the cat.

Thanks for any help
Lyle

Outdoorlyle
If its rich on bank 2 then it has to be sensor one which is before the catalytic convertor on the exhaust manifold, as the one after the convertor, sensor 2, is used for catalyst efficency.

Bank 2 is the side of the engine that doesnt include the #1 cylinder which on fords is the passanger side.

So your looking at the sensor on the DRIVERS side BEFORE the convertor.

Blackop555
Thanks for the reply, however I am a little confused.
In one paragraph you say that bank #2 is the passenger side, then the next paragraph you say it is the drivers side. Could you please let me know what side it acctually is.

Many thanks
Lyle

Outdoorlyle
Sorry about that I was saying the passanger side had the #1 cylinder so the one oppositve of that is the drivers side.

Your looking at the drivers side.

Blackop555