F150 NO START ENGINE STALL

1995 Ford F-150

1995 Ford F150 V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 180000 miles

My '95 F-150 5.8l occasionally will not start and engine will stall when driving. When this happens there is no spark from the ignition coil. I can sit there and try to start the truck form 10 min. To an hour and it will eventually start. This happens when the truck has been sitting for awhile.

Recently when it happened the engine was sitting for 14 hrs. When I tried to start the engine sounded like it was going to start but it was weak. I checked for spark and it was very weak then went away. After trying for 30 min. It started.

I have replaced the ignition coil and ignition control module. I took it to an auto shop a month a go and they said it was a bad wire between ICM and distributor. It was fine for awhile but problem returned. I took it back, they had it for 4 days and told me they got it to act up one but not long enough to use a scoop on it. They basically said it could be a number of things, pick up coil, ignition switch, bad wire some where, and good luck to you. Funny thing is when I got the truck back the second time I tried to start it, it exibited the problem, in fact it did it twice in the same day. Please help!
Mict

Do this hook up a wire to the battery positive terminal take it straight to the coil positive terminal and tell me what happened this is where we start-

Should the original three wires be connected to the coil? If so, how should I connect my wire from battery to coil? Which side of the coil is positive, the red wire?

Thanks, mict

Mict
I want you to check fuse U 20amp in engine compartment fuse box. Is its okay?

Hook it up on the red and light green wire-do you have this?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_coil_7.jpg

All fuses are good. Still fuzzy on connecting wire from batt. To coil. Just remove some of the insulation from red/green wire while still connected to coil?

Mict
What you're doing is bypassing the ignition circuit thru the ignition switch to get to the coil. Now if I may ask do you have power at the coil positive? No power there you won't get spark-the problem lies between the coil and ignition switch.

You can remove the red and light green wire as you wish and hook your wire to the coil

When key at run or start it powers the coil direct thru fuse U 20amp-

I tested the coil wires with a volt meter because I do not have alligator clips and only single core wire. I put positive side of meter to red/green wire and neg. To the yellow cable, with key on I saw 11.92 volts. Is this what you are looking for?

Mict
Sorry I ment yellow wire.

Mict
We have voltage to the coil -check the resistance of the distributor pick up coil and check for short to ground.

Am I to take the inside of the dist' apart or is there an easier way?

Mict