MAKES WHIRRING NOISE WHEN DRIVING OVER 3

1997 Ford Explorer

1997 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 130000 miles

I drive a 1997 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition. Automatic. This is the problem I am having. When I drive over 35 mph as soon as I let off the gas my rpms drop out, and a very loud whiring type noise comes from the engine. If I hit the gas again it stops or if I brake back down to usually under 30mph. It does it every single time. As long as I dont let off the gas it doesnt do it.

It doesnt seem to have any issues switching gears. And as long as I dont let off the gas it wont make the noise. As soon as I let off the gas petal the rpms just go down to 0 instantly and the noise starts. It doesnt sound like metal grinding, its whiring/spinning type noise, like maybe something is trying to grap or catch and its not. It is very loud though.

Any idea?
Mistery1310

Hi
So let off gas noise then engine shuts off ie. 0rpms?
Get truck up to speed of @50 mph shift trans out of OD then into OD Rpm drop when put back in OD? Rpm gain when put in D from oD?
Let me know
Thanks for donate

Docfixit