START UP RATTLE

1997 Ford Explorer • 130,000 miles

I have read that you can change the tensioners only on my 4ltr soch engine. 1 on the top under the hoses etc and 1 behind the offside front wheel. If I attempt this will I hit any problems. Thanks the rattle is only present for a very short time say 1 minute and not always present. 1 am presuming that this is the tensioners. I know that there are more than two but the rear ones hardly give trouble.
Artty

There is only one tensioner but check the idlers as well and make sure to replace belt at same time. Pic enclosed.

Hi again and thanks for the answer. I have made a mistake and feel a nut but there you are its the age. My car was registered in sept. 1998 therefore the engine has a timing chain. So am asking once again if I can replace the tensioners only the 2 front ones. Without too much of a problem. Many thanks

Artty
I fyou look at the diagram I sent there is only 1 tensioner and 1 idler pullet and yes they just unbolt you have to take the belt off and replace that as well when you replace the tensioner. It's an easy job for amechanic and anyone who is mechanically inclined. If you feel uncomfortable with it take it to a pro and h e will do it for you. The diagram I sent is for the engine you said you have. Just make sure that yo release the tension on the belt and remove it prior to replacing the parts. To release tension move the tensioner away from the belt it's spring loaded. So it willmove back.