TRANSFER CASE MOTOR

1994 Ford Explorer

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
1994 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 125000 miles

I replaced the tranfer case motor on my Ford Explorer, The 4x4 and Low Range lights on the buttons in dash would light but the transfer case would not engage. (Before the replacement ) After I removed the Transfer Case motor I had my wife engage the 4x4 button to see if the motor would turn. It didnt, but she also said the light would not come on. I assumed it needed to be grounded. So I continued with the replacement. When finished the light would not come on or the transfer case engage. I removed the transfer case motor checking my work. I then reinstalled the motor, cleaning the ground at the back of the motor where the support bracket mates to the transfer case. Still nothing. I unplugged the wiring harness and checked the power cable with a multi meter , doesnt seem to be any power to the cable, I the checked the 20 Amp high out put fuse under the hood it was not blown. Not sure what to do next. I called the garage they said they have never had to remap the control module after a change. The Instructions with the NAPA reman. Motor said you may or maynot have to remap. Thanks, Ron
Ronpa

Ok lets start with something simple and check number 7 fuse under the dash in the fuse box. This fuse should be a 15amp check to see if it is blown ok if you can't tell replace it anyway just to be sure as fuses are not that expensive. On a 94 model explorer there is no need to remap it so no worries there. If the fuse is good then we will look for any relay's and check the GEM Module next ok. We will also check the Shift Motor to ensure you did get a good on. It happens now and then that you get a bad one. Thanks and get back to me.

Racefan966
Ok, removed the number 7 fuse tested it with a multi meter for continuity , checked out ok. Not sure about the relays, I have no wiring diagram , I have a chiltons but it stops a t 1987 from my ford ranger.

Ronpa
Ok first you should buy a newer book or check out you local library and check one out. I see you have a multi meter so do you have a scan too and a test light too? Let me know and we will start checking out things one at time ok.

Racefan966
I have a test light but am not familiar with a scan, I used to be a heavy truck and equipment mechanic before everything became computerized. I havent got a book yet, I am told the control module is under the drivers seat? Would the relays be located there also? As I said there doesnt seem to be any power in the cable from the module to the motor. The buttons and lights to engage the system worked fine until I unbolted the transfer case motor, coincedence? Thought I may have blown something having wife turn ignition on and engage with motor unbolted. ( Grounded)

Ronpa
Ok first thing never do that again ok. There is a magnetic clutch and speed sensor near the motor that may have been damaged by doing this. Now we will do some tests to make sure what is and isn't wrong. Ok.
First I need you to unplug the 5 pin and 8 pin connector from the electronic control module for the 4x4 now turn key to run engine off. Let me know if the indicator light for the 4x4 is flashing or on steady. If it is on steady then the module is bad and needs to be replaced. Get back to me with what you find and we will go from there. The module is located in the car in the back above the left (drive side) rear wheel well should be close to the jack in that compartment.

Racefan966
Bearing in mind that the lights worked until I un bolted the original motor, then I had no lights. I unplugged the 5 and 8 pin connectors, turned the key to run position, no lights at all, I checked the #7 and 20 amp electric shift fuses with multimeter again, both good.

Ronpa
Well I guess I should uplug the in put cable to control module and see if I have power to the control module since the fuses are good?

Ronpa
Ok with the test that you did it says that the 4x4 module is bad and needs to be replaced. The 4x4 lights should have flashed 4 times. So if you like do the test again and if there is no lights at all then according to that the module is bad. If that is true I would check a wrecking or salvage yard to buy one. Let me know how it goes.

Racefan966
I removed the input cable for the control module and have power there, there is a red light at bottom of module with a white tab (button) if u push the button the red light flashes off and on, depress button again it stops.

Ronpa
I called the salvage yard $65.00 for a used one, goin to pick it up, thx for all your help, will let u know how it turns out.

Ronpa