BLACK SMOKE

1993 Ford Explorer

Shakes or Wobbles problem
1993 Ford Explorer V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic

My ford explorer for the last month has been messing up. It blows out black smoke when you start it up, it idles up and down until it warms up all the way, it idles up and down when I am stoped at a light or stop sign (like it wants to move forward but can't), and it leaks oil from the front. One mechanic told me that it might be the egr sensor (or erg. Can't remember) and another told me that it's the mass air flow sensor.
Imakehatazbounce

IF the black smoke is coming from the exhaust, that tells me it is running rich (too much gas). Make sure the air filter is clean and not blocked. Also, has the check engine light come on? To me it sounds like there is a problem with the ambient temp sensor. It is a sensor that tells the computer how warm or cold it is outside and the engine temp. Based on that info, the computer determines the air fuel mixture needed for the engine to run properly. Now the idle problem you are experiencing can be caused as a result of the temp sensor or a bad throttle position sensor. As far as the EGR, it would most likely cause a rough idle, but not what you described.

LEt me know if the check engine light has come on.