CHEVY EGR VALVE

2001 Chevrolet Malibu

2001 Chevy Malibu 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 134000 miles

I am about to take a road trip to Florida and my check engine light came on. I had it diag'd and came back as the EGR valve and I want to keep it cheap. How hard is it to remove and replace the EGR on my 01 Chevy Malibu? Will the check engine light go out by itself?

Thanks so much you guys always have the best answers!

Garrett T.
Gtaylor1823

When it came up with the EGR code-did they try to erase it? Its an easy job for a DIY, Why don't you try cleaning it and the passages before you replace it and see what happens

Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve On top rear of engine.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_egr_20.jpg

No they didn't erase it after I had it scanned. It looks like its a 2-3 bolt job. I'll definitely take it off and check it out. Is there anything specific that I need to be careful of? It looks like there is some type of hose coming off the bottom of the EGR am I looking at that right? Last thing which part of the EGR should I clean along with which passages?
Thanks so much that was so quick you guys are really the best!

Garrett T.

Gtaylor1823