CHEVY CAR WILL NOT START AT TIMES

2001 Chevrolet Impala

2001 Chevy Impala 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 72000 miles

for the past year I have had this problem and it is just happing more often. The car will start fine and than other times it just will not start. I wait 30 min and it will start back up. When it runs it's great but when I turn it off who knows if it will start again. No one seems to know what the problem is. I have a new battery, new switch, new BMC and it still has not solved my problem. PLEASE I JUST NEED SOME ADVICE OR HELP ON THE PROBLEM. The dealer just tells me I need to wait till it stops and will not start and have it towed in before they can tell me what it is. When I put the key in it just does nothing everything else works on the car I wait my half hour and put the key back in and it will start up! Someone told me it is my passlock what ever that is others have told me not to use the lock switch on my key ring and others have told me it is in the transmission no one seems to have and answer. So l hope you may have one for me or at least let me know who or where I can go or call to get an answer.
PLEASE SOMEONE OUT THERE MUST KNOW WHAT IS THE PROBLEM!

HELP ME!
Waldok

Hello there,

It does sound like a Passlock problem. Is your security light on or blinking when it happens? If so it confirms a Passlock problem. By the way, Passlock II is your theft deterrent system. When triggered it locks either the starter or the fuel injectors. Ask your dealer to troubleshoot your passlock. Since you replaced a bunch of parts already, you may have a problem with your passlock sensor, your ignition lock cylinder, or possibly a bad connection between your passlock sensor and BCM. It could also be that your passlock system needs to be reprogrammed. Let me know what you find out. If you do a search online, you'll see that it is a very common problem with GM cars. Do a little bit of research before the dealer takes you for a ride. Good luck

RenaudTN
I will look into this and I really hope this is the problem. Not sure why when I have asked the dealer before they just keep telling me I have to wait til it will not start and have it towed in. When this has been going on for a year and now it is just getting worst and happing more often.
So will look into this and will be sure to let you know what I find out.

Thanks again
kwaldo

Waldok
Did you determine the cause of your engine problem and get it corrected?

I was just looking through the forum and came across your posting. There was no reply to the answer you got from one of the members.

I am very familiar with this type of problem because the same thing happened to me about 3 years ago.

There were no indications except the battery showed in the message center. No malfunction codes when the Code Reader was connected either.

I had the same problems getting a Chevy Dealer to diagnose it, because it wouldn't show any code.

It turned out to be the Crankshaft Position Sensor.

Now I'm trying to tell everybody I can about it.

Sorry it's so long after you first started having the problem.

Please answer back even if you have already fixed the problem.

TakeChargeSarge

TakeChargeSarge