GRINDING NOISE AND STALL

1993 Buick Skylark

1993 Buick Skylark 6 cyl Wheel Drive Type unknown Automatic 55000 miles

I just bought a 93 buick skylark coupe and drove it home about 10 to 15 miles and then back to the same place when I was just about there the car started to make a grinding noise like I was draggin something and didn't have much power when I came to a stop it stalled when I restarted the car it started fine but when I put it in drive it stalled I did this about 3 times then I went to talk to a tech and after about 2min he got in the car and started it and put it in drive and it was fine so I drove it around the block about1/12 miles and it started making the grinding noise again and not much power what could this be (torque converter)?
Wbecroft

The grinding is from the engine area?
Like belt area?

Transmission area?

Heavy metallic grind?

3.3 motor?

Yes it seems to be from the trans and it is defently metalic also 3.3 engine

Wbecroft
It really seems to be like the torque converter locking up doe this vehicle have a torque converter lock up solenoid?

Wbecroft
You hit the nail on the head. TCC is where I would have gone to. Need info on it?

Yes, please tell me this is a simple and inexpensive fix.

Wbecroft
Well. Although I agree that I would first go to this for test, shouldn't mean we know it's bad. It needs to be tested. The converter may be damaged.

I suspect either way this isn't going to be inexpensive. There were some of these that would develp a shudder and unplugging the tcc would disable it and it would just not give the higher gear capability. That may work. But I don't know that it will.

So I unplugged the tcc and the car drives beautiful but the check engine lite comes on and off obviously so does this mean I need an new lock up solenoid and is this part of the valve body also should I do a trans flush do you think it might help?

Wbecroft
Changing the fluid and filter is always a good idea and you'll be right there when you do the TCC anyways.

The CEL is now on because the the tranny is not peforming opimally and therefore emissions are affected-most likely. I don't believe the valve body is part of the TCC, but not positive.

So what is the name of the part I should ask for and once the trans pan is off is it easy to install?

Wbecroft
Your Best to do testing first. Converter lock up solenoid is what is in question. I'll send you some procedures since you made a donation.I thank-you for that.

I don't know that there hasn't been damage done. I know folks that have driven with it unplugged for qite some time.

It is a little over 3 hour job for a skilled technician.

I don't have an Rand R procedure however.