ODOMETER TO DIM TO SEE

2005 Ford Freestar • FWD Automatic • 155,500 miles

I have a ford freestar 2005, the odometer is too dim to see when I start my car outside. If I start the car in the garage, then I can see the odometer (and associated computer info) dimly until I move outside. I had all the instrument panel light bulbs replaced ($350) which made no difference in the problem. Just for a matter of 1/2 second when the car starts, the intensity of the LED light is about right, but dims down immediately. This is a safety hazard, as I can't see when the car is telling me something is wrong, like a door not closed completely. Any ideas as to what need to be tested to ensure I get at the problem?
Hobbsd1

I think that you gave me clue as to what your concern may be. You stated that the instrument panel lights are adaquately illuminated for a brief second before they go dim. The Ford interior lighting system is designed to dim when the headlights are on. I am guessing that you may have auto-lamps equipped on your vehicle? If so, see if they are coming on at the time the interior lights go dim. Shut the auto-lights off for a test; if that works and you are in daylight when they are suppose to be off, look for something such as a dash cover blocking the sunload sensor that is mounted to the top of your dash. I have seen just last week a person with the same issue.

The Ford man
Yes I have an automatic lights switch, but it makes no difference in the overall intensity of the odometer light when the lights are on, off, or on automatic. Yes when I start the car in my garage, the head lights do come on immediately. I do think that there may be a problem with the Interior lighting system but don't know where it is, or how to test so I know if it is the problem or not.

Hobbsd1
The Sunload sensor is clear, Can you tell me what modules are in the circuit for the odometer and associated computer output intensity. So far I have 1. Sunload sensor, 2. Dimmer switch, 3. Some kind of control module, 4. LED readout in instrument panel. Is this correct?

Hobbsd1
Yes, and this is where I will give you an answer that you may not like: A repair facility with the capabilities to test and monitor BCE modules is the next step. There is a couple of these modules including the instrument cluster (which is a module itself) needs to be tested for diagnostic trouble codes and monitor the inputs and related outputs that are in the circuit. I do not know any other way.

The Ford man
OK, Thanks for the answer, this is what I was looking for if it means taking it to the dealer and having them do the testing, that is fine. I always like to know what is involved before I do that though.
Thank you

Hobbsd1
You are welcome.

The Ford man
THE FORD MAN!!!!

THINK THIS FELLER MAY BE LOOKIN' FOR YOU!

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2005-ford-freestar-talk-to-thefordman

THOUGHT I MIGHT HELP YA'LL LINK UP!