Odometer Step 2 - Collectively the speedometer and odometer gather data from the vehicle BCM which produces a signal that is then recorded by the odometer. A vehicle speed sensor or VSS is located inside or bolted to the transmission and senses the speed of rotation of the final drive gear.
Main Transmission and VSS Connector Helpful Information
- Look for fingerprints on the inside of the clear plastic lens cluster cover.
- Numbers on the odometer should line up straight (mechanical).
- When driving, check for odometer clicking (mechanical).
- Check the maintenance records of the vehicle.
- Check wear patterns on the steering wheel, arm rests, gas and brake pedals which should match the odometer reading.
- Consult an independent car information website like Carfax.com
- A trained technician can give an informative evaluation of the car.