DODGE RAM SENSOR PROBLEM

2005 Dodge Ram • 287,000 miles

Ok. Where to start.2005 Dodge Ram 1500, 4x4, 5.7 Hemi, 287,000 Miles. My problem started happening last year around August-September. I get intermittent hiccups or sputtering. RPM’s fluctuate and vehicle starts bouncing around, acting like I’m out of gas (I am not), then catches itself and continues driving like normal. This while driving at highway speeds. It seems to happen more when it down shifts into passing gears and roughly around 3200-3500 rpm’s. The thing is…it does not happen all the time. It also seems to happen more often during warmer temperature days or times of the day. Shortly after a hiccup or sputter while driving at slower (35 or less) speeds in town, the engine will stall. I don’t know if the hiccup or sputter has anything to do with the stalling, but seems if it does not hiccup or sputter…then it does not stall. It has stalled sometimes while coming to a stop, sometimes even while rolling. Have even had it stall while just sitting at stoplight at idle, the Tachometer will drop to about 300, sputter a couple of times then completely shut off. I can put it in neutral or park and it will start right back up and continue on its way. Again, does not happen all the time. Even after all this is happening, I do not receive any check engine codes popping up. Radio and lights continue to work with no interruption, but I lose power steering and power brakes. Anyways, I took it to a shop and they had my truck for 3 days and could never get the problem to act up on them. Ran a lot of tests and checked fuel pressure and who knows what all they did. They never did figure out anything. Since then, winter arrived and I didn’t have any problems (Colder outside temps). Until now (Warmer outside temps), again I am starting to have hiccup or sputter issues and even the same stalling problem. I drive 90 miles to and from work. Early mornings my truck doesn’t seem to have any problems. Lately in the evenings, after driving at least half my length, the truck, again will have a hiccup and sputter…then stall in town. Again, does not happen all the time only periodically. It seems to happen more when my gas tank is below a half tank. I have researched the internet, seeing posts from others with similar problems and no solutions. I have since replaced all 4 O2 sensors, map sensor, camshaft position sensor, crankshaft position sensor, egr valve and have cleaned the Throttle body (as best I can) and air flow sensor, and most recently replaced the fuel pump relay (all possible fixes from posts on the internet). I have also recently changed transmission filters and fluid, fluid level is normal and does not smell burnt. Spark plugs were changed about 20-30,000 miles ago. I am at a loss, not sure what to check or change. Fuel pump maybe? I replaced the original fuel pump a little over 2 years ago, a little over 100,000 miles. I am hoping someone may be able to help me figure this out. It’s not fun driving around knowing it might give out, especially in the middle of rush hour traffic and with kids in the vehicle with me. I am nerve-wracked. I appreciate any and all thoughts. Thanx in advance.

Visit the Chrysler dealer and ask if they will let you drive it with a "flight recorder" connected. I can't remember if that's the "Star Scan", "Star Mobile" or if the older DRB3 will work. Those scanners monitor sensor readings and operating conditions while you're driving. You press the "record" button when the problem occurs. Since that data travels through the scanner's memory, the recording actually starts a few seconds before you press the button. Later your mechanic can play that back to see what is taking place.

You may also want to connect a fuel pressure gauge and hook it under a wiper arm so you can watch it when the problem acts up. Fuel pressure is one of the things that is not monitored by the Engine Computer.