VOLKSWAGEN GOLF ENGINE PROBLEM

2002 Volkswagen Golf • 143,352 miles

We have a gulf that won't start. We have checked the alternator and starters and both tested as passed, we have checked the battery as well. The car will turn over just not start. We also checked the timing belt and it seems in good condition. The fuel pump seems to be working as well. These are all things we have told to try but as yet not running. So any suggestions would helpful.
505jcas

Have you checked for spark yet?ALso have you tried spraying some carb spray in the throttle body to see if it starts?Any codes in the computer?

I will check those items. I was planning on checking the spark next. I have a new problem with it now> After re-installing the alternator I was trying to start it again and on the second try it made a small clunk sound and now won't turn over. Could the starter be frozen now even though when tested it passed?

505jcas
Pop the alternator belt off and see if it will crank over?Also is the security light on solid or flashing with the key on?

It did not turnover with the belt off. The only lights on are EPC light and now the check engine light.

505jcas
The check engine light is on without the engine running have you had the battery tested?Made sure the engine turns over by hand?

Yes I had the battery tested and did check for the for the engine turning over by hand. I did discover something unfortunate when I decided to completely pull the timing belt cover off. The belt has lost about 1/3 of the teeth so that explains why it is not running, and wouldn't run. The engine has slipped so now I have to fix that issue. How bad of a mess do I have before me?

505jcas
Which engine do you have?

2.0

505jcas
Its a interference fit engine so if it jumped far enough you could have bent valves.

Oh! So I would need to pull valve cover of to check it?

505jcas
Page 1 of 2