OVERHEATING

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix • 150,000 miles

Hi so my 2002 Pontiac grand prix is overheating once again we changed the thermostat and radiator cap the first time it started this. Its overheating only when stopped liked befor also we kept driving it and eventually it just stopped over heating untill the other day when we noticed brown gunk on the radiator cap. We flushed it out and got the brown gunk out now it overheats again any suggestions ?
Jamiegarcia

Sealer is always a bad idea. It clogs the radiator and needs to be acid flushed to get it out.

From overheating, you need a leak down test to confirm you did not damage the head gaskets.

I never used a sealer at all and to flush it I used prestone im assuming the gunk in there was blocking the problem so it didnt overheat now that its out it overheats again. Maybe a water pump?

Jamiegarcia
Also there is coolant in the oil so I dont think its a blown head

Jamiegarcia
If there is coolant in the oil as you said, then it does have a blown head gasket.

The gunk must be pressure flushed with acid to rid it of the stuff and re gain flow.

Any other suggestions?

Jamiegarcia
Not until those are confirmed, especially the fact that you confirmed the head gasket is bad with coolant in the oil.

Im sorry I meant there is NO coolant in the oil

Jamiegarcia
We are still at the radiator needing to be flushed out for flow with a pressure treatment.

There is no coolant in the oil I meant

Jamiegarcia
Same answer as above.