CRANKS BUT WON'T START

2002 Oldsmobile Alero • 6 cylinder FWD Automatic • 150,000 miles

Hi I have a 2002 Olds Alero. It intermittantly cranks but doesn't start. I have spent over $500 on a fuel pump, towing (several times) and most recently both crank sensors. It ran fine all day yesterday, got up today and will not start. The last time it did this the tow truck driver was able to start it right up when he arrived. It is not the passlock security system as we had that problem in the past and have disabled it. Totally baffled as to what it could be. Please help!
Dsheler11

When the problem is ongoing, check the basics. If it cranks good but won't start, Have a helper crank it, while you visually check for spark at the plugs. If you have spark everywhere, use a gage and check fuel pressure.

If it won't even crank, check the starter circuit. I can suggest what to test, but, you have to do the testing.

It has all been tested, it's getting spark, there's fuel pressure and can hear the pump. It cranks but just doesn't catch and the odd thing is it only happens every 10 starts or so. Beginning to think it's a computer issue? Saw some other posts regarding control modules. Would really like to know what it is before I give the mechanic any more of my money. Thanks for your help!

Dsheler11
With intermittent issues, you have to test when the problem is on going. To say somebody tested it in the past, doesn't mean anything. Even if you can hear the fuel pump, doesn't mean the pressure is good. Use a fuel pressure gage.

When the problem is ongoing, use a noid lite, check for injector pulse. When the problem is ongoing, use some starter fluid in the intake, see if the engine will try to start. I take the air-duct loose from throttle-body, open throttle valve, spray a little in, stand back from vehicle, have helper crank it. When using any flamable spray, there is a safety issue. Safety is your responsibility. Unless your willing and able to do a little testing, WHEN THE PROBLEM IS ONGOING, I'm not sure how to help?