ENGINE STALLS (KILLS) BUT WILL RESTART

2002 Ford Ranger • 100,000 miles

I had the cam (distributor)replaced in May. Spark plugs, wires, and fuel filter fuel filter replaced around the 4th of July. Twice since then, about 5 weeks apart, the engine stalled. The first time I was low on gas, it was a fast stop, from 40 mph at a red light and the temp here was 115F. I restarted it in neutral, at the light. Firestone said everything was fine, it was because I was low on gas. When it happened a few days ago, I was making a curved right at a light, it killed and I restarted while still moving - by putting it in neutral. It is a automatic. The second time it was beautiful day in the 90's and my tank was nearly full. No lights telling me anything is wrong. The idiot lights gave me no clue before it completely died when I needed the new cam(distributor) - I don't know what it is called. I've noticed it hesitates when I'm leaving my apartment complex, I have to stop at a hill and then pull out. It hesitates for a split-second.
LizA

I would start by checking fuel pump pressure. It may be a weak pump or partially plugged fuel filter. For directions, check out our homepage under the DIY section.

Thank you, I will do that right now! : )

LizA
Let me know how it goes.

I was told there is nothing wrong electrically or with the fuel system (pump, etc) They did feel that if it kills again, I will be able to re-start it again.

LizA
Yes, but it shouldn't just die for no reason. Even if it restarts, there is a problem that will most likely get worse and eventually let you down. Are you at the shop now? What have they checked?

That's all they told me, they checked the electronic system and the fuel system. I asked about the fuel pump and they said yes, that was what they checked.

LizA
They don't know what is wrong. I hate that because you are left out in the cold. Most likely they will tell you wait until it doesn't restart and they can fix it.

That is exactly what they said. The 'kid' next door told me as much as they did. I hate to go there again, but, it started 5 weeks after they changed the fuel filter, and then 5 weeks later the second time. I have to wait until it won't re-start, like you said. I'm constantly positioning myself to be near where I can pull over, watching my gauges at every light.I've put nothing more than routine work into my truck and it's been good. But, I don't like this feeling at all. When I ever find out what was wrong, I will let you know.

LizA
I understand your frustration. When it dies, does the engine just stop or does it seem like you are not getting enough gas?

It just stops. It runs pretty smooth, so the first time, I was at a light, and I couldn't tell, I just looked at my dash and saw all the gauges facing low and maybe the idiot lights were on. The second time, I was making a right hand curve and I knew it killed because the steering got hard. So both times I had let up on the gas. And that's how it feels like the gas isn't flowing. But, it doesn't sputter. I would say it does hesitate occasionally and that scares me. I think I mentioned when I leave my apartment area, I'm on a 25degree (?) Incline and it feels like it hesitates when I'm pulling onto the road.

LizA
Page 1 of 3