HELP! NEED OVERHEATING DIAGNOSTIC

2001 Chevrolet Malibu • 85,000 miles

Friends 2001 Chevy Malibu was overheating and was driven on into the red. I replaced the thermostat for her hoping for no further damage however upon restart and drive the car now blows white smoke, runs rough as if a piston misfiring, and still overheats. I'm thinking HG, warped head, cracked IM, or cracked block etc. I just need to know what you think? Most of all is how to diagnose correctly. Thank you in advance.
Norcal

I guess I should have just gone to troubleshooting first lol. I found the main reasons and ways to check. If there are more tips or tricks that can help please post em thanks

Norcal
Rent a chemical block tester from auto zone buy the fluid and that will tell you if have a blown head gasket etc wont tell you which it is. You will have to tear it apart to figure that one out.

Thanks saturn. Looks like no matter what though it's gonna be a project. Wish me luck

Norcal
Wish you luck please keep me posted.